2007. október 7., vasárnap

Trial of the Century - 3rd part

Author’s Foreword:
Even thought the following short story does contain elements of reality, it is still a product of imagination therefore, it does not reflects actual events. The situations and dialogues described in this story might cause some stress or unpleasant moments for some readers, therefore discretion is recommended.
If you would like to leave a comment please contact: gitana82@gmail.com


* Author’s comment:
„Kids, please stop, go and ask Daddy before reading any further. Thanks” *


First part

His words spanned on everyone in the room like a whip. The lawyer was very close of letting his anger run wild. After all those hard months, sleepless nights, endless fights; he did not even had time to mourn the loss of his sister; was all that for nothing?
- Are you being serious now? – he asked on his soft but cold voice.
All but his lawyer partner has fled the room, like in wake of a storm.
- Why? Why aren’t they just going to label me a criminal? A pe….? - He could not even say the word. - There wasn’t much use of employing you. But don’t worry I will pay your fee.
- First of all, neither Susan or I will starve if you don’t. On the second note though, I am a lawyer not your PR rep. You should have a word with Ms. Bain on this, I guess”. The lawyer was not raising his voice, but even that would not have been more scarier. „Everything went fine in the courtrooom. You have been acquited in 10 serious and 4 lesser charges, unanimously. There was no hung jury, there is no right to appeal. If they want a civil lawsuit you don’t even have to be present at all. And we will fight that free of charge for you, how about that?” – his namby pamby voice made his client rethink his words.
- Please excuse me, I was not fair. I am sorry. I am just so worn out by all this….
- I know - acknowledged the lawyer. He knows, the healing is still a long way to go. - Your doc will arrive soon. I called for him in your best interest. If he wants to put you on the dropper you will comply and do so.
The man must really be exhausted by the trial as did not even try to disagree. Or was his mind drifting into space again?
- What will I say when my kids ask one day what and why I had been charged? How will I explain to them? What should I do if they learn it from someone else? What if they come across a paper where it says their father is an animal?
Noone noticed but Susan gave a start. She heard his questions, even thought she was not listening in. She was also exhausted. Tired mentally, physically and of course emotionally. She always dresses smart, but her suit was crinkled now - she realized she is hungry, hasn’t taken a bite all day. And the case was still not completely over for them.
Doc arrived. Guided in by the lead bodyguard, he just needed to take one look at his patient to know what to do. He started to prepare the dropper without saying a word.
- I am sorry but this must be. You are dehidrated Mr. Jackson. Don’t worry I won’t hurt you.
Relax,/ this wont hurt you/ Before I put it in/ close your eyes
- We gotta go. Will meet you tomorrow then. See you all later. – turned the lawyer to the bodyguard.


They drove in silence for a while
- Susan, you cried, didn’t you? It was on the telly…
- Yes. I could break down right now, too.
- Are you OK? Sure? - Annie, are you OK?/ Are you OK Annie?
- Yes. Do you despise me now?
- No. I was too close on the verge myself. He is so weak, still so strong. I just want you to know to watch out for yourself. I wouldn’t like to have you collapsing. You are important.
- You worried about our office?
- BS. I don’t care about the office. I worry about you. You are like my sister, you know. Could you please stop here for me? Thanks.
- Sure. My regards to Minnie.

To be continued

4th part

Nincsenek megjegyzések: